About Me

My photo
Living in Chicago, by way of Dayton, OH and Havertown, PA. Contact me at atozpod@gmail.com.

Labels

Subscribe

eXTReMe Tracker

Where You At?

Thursday, October 11, 2007

from Fire to Flight Of The Passing Fancy

Day 460, Session 95:
When/Where:
Tuesday September 25th - Sitting at my new desk at work. My third new desk this year.
First song:
Fire by Josh Joplin
Last full song: Flight Of The Passing Fancy by Squirrel Nut Zippers
Progress: 1346-1369 of 5329 (1 skipped podcast)
Total Songs Heard: 1123

Way back in May I posted about the song First of May by Jonathan Coulton. Actually heard it in order today and it remains awesome. It also is one of those things that, when children eventually do come along, will lead to an awkward conversation. Instead of actually having that conversation, I plan on showing my future children this video.

(***WARNING*** this video contains scenes of animated debauchery and should definitely not be viewed by my parents.)



That way they'll also know more about World of Warcraft, a game their future father has spent way too much time playing.

I also heard Five Guys Named Moe today. If you ever have a chance to see the musical Five Guys Named Moe, I highly recommend it.
The show features the music of Louis Jordan, who I happen to think is one of the great underappreciated figures in American music. I saw it at Ford's Theater in Washington D.C. on a school trip. I remember thinking at the time how strange it was to be seeing a show at the same theater where President Lincoln had been assassinated (Abe and I were tight) but the music was so infectious that 10 minutes in I didn't give poor dead Linc another thought.

Hearing it again set me off thinking about how much I enjoy the sound of human voices in harmony.
The moments in music of really good harmony are the moments that I tend to get goosebumpy. I'm sure there's some scientific explanation for why harmony is pleasing to the brain, but I'm probably not smart enough to understand it (feel free to try to explain it to me, I'll nod like I understand.) All I know is that if there had been harmonious singing in Our American Cousin instead of lines like "Don't know the manners of good society, eh? Well, I guess I know enough to turn you inside out, old gal—you sockdologizing old man-trap..." there's no way Booth could have stayed mad enough to go through with the shooting.

Five Guys Named Moe

ETA: Oh yeah, I'm also leaving my job. So if anyone was ever thinking about approaching me about sponsoring this blog, now would be a good time.

2 comments:

Mike said...

Hooray! I was all set to surf over here on my daily trip through my time-wasting web sites (no offense) and put up a "boo technical difficulties" post, but there you were with new content.

Good luck on the job hunt (or do you have a new career opportunity lined up?) - especially with all the kid talk you opened with. Scary, man.

I've been waiting in vain for my Warcraft obsession to burn out, but it's apparently not going anywhere. I even have a regular raid group. This cannot end well - I'll either lose my funding and have to quit because I can't afford the subscription or I'll come to my senses and quit in order to get work done.

Okay, that had nothing to do with your blog. Good post, and I have no recollection of that DC excursion - was that a chorus trip? Well, anyway, I liked your ruminations on harmony. If I could remember anything from my Psychology of Music class (yes, I took one) I'd try to illuminate you. Alas, it's all gone. Yay alcohol!

Anonymous said...

before you quit - ask to be laid off. It is now the season for lay offs and you may get a package.
If you are planning on quitting it may not hurt to ask to be laid off. Wait a few days for an answer then quit.