About Me

My photo
Living in Chicago, by way of Dayton, OH and Havertown, PA. Contact me at atozpod@gmail.com.

Labels

Subscribe

eXTReMe Tracker

Where You At?

Saturday, February 23, 2008

from Hard Headed to Haywire

Day 612, Session 113:
When/Where:
Friday February 22th - In the living room, playing through Nottingham Forest's 1st Premier League season.
First song: Hard Headed Woman by Cat Stevens
Last full song: Haywire by The Jayhawks
Progress: 1803-1830 of 5784
Total Songs Heard: 1446

Ok, so I know I made up a set of rules for this project and one of those rules was no going backwards but...

The Oscars are this weekend. I know, I know, you probably don't really care. Honestly, for the most part I don't really care either. I've seen two of the best picture nominees, "Juno," which I liked it, but I hardly think of it as a Best Picture type of movie, and "No Country For Old Men," which I liked better, but again, didn't make me think best. movie. ever.

There is one category I care a lot about this year. Best song. The nominees include 3 songs from the movie "Enchanted" (which I'll probably never see,) 1 from the movie "August Rush" (which I certainly will never see,) and 1 from my favorite movie of last year, "Once."

So good is that song, that I'm breaking the rules and going back to highlight the Oscar nominated tune Falling Slowly. I'm not going to go into all the details of the movie, I know at least 4 of my 11 (this is a guess) loyal readers have already seen it. All you need to know is a guy and a girl (awesomely, their character names in the movie are Guy and Girl) meet and make beautiful music together. Falling Slowly is the first time they work together.



To make sure you understand how I feel, I'm going to use words that aren't normally part of my vocabulary.
This song is lovely. It brings tears to my eyes every single time I hear it. The movie is charming and full of joy. Amazingly, "Once" was not nominated for Best Picture. The very least they can do is make sure this song is recognized.

I feel so strongly about this that I'm filing this entry on Saturday night even though I know practically no one will see it until Monday when it may be too late. So if you're reading this Monday, and Falling Slowly did not win the Oscar for Best Song please call your congressperson and demand a federal investigation.

Right after Arlen Specter finishes investigating the New England Patriots.

Falling Slowly - Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova

No comments: