About Me

My photo
Living in Chicago, by way of Dayton, OH and Havertown, PA. Contact me at atozpod@gmail.com.

Labels

Subscribe

eXTReMe Tracker

Where You At?

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Wednesday June 28 - Afternoon

Day 6, Session 6:
Location: The afternoon at work and the train ride home.
First song: Adrian by Jewel
Last full song: Aftertaste by Ben Lee
Progress: 106-115 of 3962

Ugh. Ok, so Jewel is on my iPod. So? I happen to like folky sounding power pop-ish songs. Jewel happens to have recorded several of them. And... she has a really nice body. Why should that influence my music selection? I don't know... but it's probably not the first time I did something because someone had a nice body. Plus, in college, I thought having some Jewel in my music collection would make me appear more sensitive to the ladies... and ladies love the sensitive guys right? Of course I realize now that this isn't particularly true.

Joey and I had a radio show in college. One of my earliest memories of the show involved the playing of the Jewel song I'm Sensitive ("so am I! and you have a nice body, so let’s mess around!") The first time we played it we were horrified by the whiny little girl voice that we had suddenly put over the airwaves. The song Adrian is about 10000x worse... clawing at your ears bad. I will not be deleting it though. As long as the rest of the cd is on the iPod, I have to keep this song to maintain album integrity. I forced myself to listen to the whole thing as punishment for having it in the first place and felt really bad afterward.

A couple of songs later I felt good again when Afternoons and Coffeespoons by Crash Test Dummies played. This particular tune was always the closing song of the aforementioned radio show. Why? I don't know. I think it had something to do with the line about wearing pajamas in the daytime. Our show was from 5-8am, so most times the afternoon after the show was spent trying to catch up on sleep. The fact that we were usually exhausted by the time the show was ending is the excuse I use to explain the fact that I thought there was a line in the song that said, "Someday, I'll have a disappearing headlight."

Ummm, it's hairline, not headlight. You know, like going bald, not like driving around with one headlight out. (Although perhaps this misheard lyric would later inspire Jacob Dylan.) Mishearing the lyric wouldn't have been so bad if I didn't spend 3 months using it as my e-mail signature.

No comments: